The Fredric Rieders Family Renaissance Foundation AAFS Scholarship
The Fredric Rieders Family Renaissance Foundation has as its mission the promotion of research, scholarship, and mentorship in the forensic sciences. Over the years, the Foundation has supported this mission through various programs described elsewhere on our website.
The Foundation Board is pleased to announce that this year is will award the second annual Fredric Rieders Family Renaissance Foundation AAFS Scholarship, a scholarship opportunity which supports attendance by the Arcadia University Master of Science in Forensic Science (MSFS) Alumni at the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) Annual Meeting. This scholarship offers reimbursement of travel, registration, and accomodation expenses up to $1,750. In 2012 two alumni two schoarships were awarded t0 Kimberly Samano (Class of ’08) and Jennifer Cravo (Class of ’12). Ms. Samano presented a poster on “Preclinical Investigation of CP47,497: a widely abused synthetic cannabinoid.” Ms. Cravo gave a presentation her research, “Comparative Analysis of Size Specific DNA Concentrators following Organic DNA Extraction.” Follow the links to read the abstracts.
The purpose of these scholarships is to help our alumni build and maintain their network in the forensic sciences, keep current with technical and professional developments in the field, present their research or case reports to their peers to help build their resume, and to meet and give feedback to the current students in the MSFS program who attend the AAFS meeting.
The conditions for eligibility for the scholarships are as follows:
- Applicants must be graduates of the Master of Science in Forensic Science degree program at Arcadia University at the time of application.
- Applicant must submit an abstract to the AAFS for a platform or poster presentation at the annual meeting for which they plan to attend, and provide a copy of that abstract with their scholarship application to the Foundation. Scholarships will be awarded based on the Foundation’s review of the application and the abstract.
- The deadline for abstracts to AAFS is August 1st, 2013. Please see the Call For Papers for further details.
- If for any reason the abstract has not been accepted by the AAFS program once the scholarship applications have been reviewed and awarded by the Foundation, the alumnus will still receive the scholarship to attend.
- If the applicant withdraws their abstract for any reason, the scholarship will be withdrawn also.
- Applicants for the Foundation scholarship must submit through the website. Click here to submit. The submission deadline to the Foundation is August 5th, 2013.
- Scholarship recipients can submit receipts for reimbursement of air travel, parking, taxi, hotel, room cost, and meeting registration (including workshops and special events) up to $1,750. Additional expenses for attendance will be the responsibility of the recipient or their employer.
- Applicants will be responsible for ensuring that their employer will allow them the time to attend the meeting.
The 2014 AAFS Meeting will take place in Seattle, WA at the Washington State Convention Center, February 17-22, 2014. Applications are open until August 5th. Contact Katherine Sas at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.